That’s right folks, the 2009 Vancouver International Jazz Festival is approaching (June 26 – July 5) so if you like jazz clarinet and a whole lotta this guy (pictured right) then you’re in luck because I’ll be playing all over the place! And by “all over the place” I mean in these 6 places:
1. June 27th, sets at 8:30pm & 10:15pm, at The Cellar. James Danderfer’s Tribute To The Legendary Jazz Clarinetists: If you like the classic jazz music of the 30s and 40s, this is the show for you! For slighty more info click here.
3. July 2, 8pm @ The Granville Island Dockside Brewery: Gordon Grdina/James Danderfer duo.
I can honestly say I have no idea what we’ll I’ll be playing with Gordon this night (he does like to surprise me) but he’s one of my favourite guitarists in town and a delight to play with,… whatever we’re doing. Click here for more info.
4. July 4th, 8 – 11:45 @ The Libra Room with The Victor Noriega Quintet (I’ll be joining them for the second set, beginning at 9:45pm). For more info click here. Victor’s put together a great band to play some of his original music, very exciting and contemporary jazz.
5. July 5th, noon – 2pm @ Tom Lee Music (downtown Granville Street location): James Danderfer’s “Accelerated Development” Project. My sextet will be performing the music from my last CD (“Accelerated Development”) which chronicles my time spent living in Shanghai, China. This music combines many influences to present a creative, rhythmic, and melodic pictorial of Shanghai,… It’s hard to describe to you’ll just have to hear it for yourself! Click here for more info.
6. July 5th, 4-5pm @ The Roundhouse Festival Hall with Kate Hammett-Vaughan’s quintet “Coming Back To You” – music by Canadian composers. Kate’s a wonderful singer and this particular project suits her voice beautifully, she’s selected a collection of songs by great Canadian singers such as Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, and Feist to name a few. Click here for more info.
Hope to see you at one of these shows, make sure to come say hello if you can!